Sakonis is a family-run restaurant, established in the ‘little India’ area of Wembley back in 1984, which has its origins as one of the first fruit and veg market stalls on Ealing Road. The stall specialised in the exciting flavours of Southern India combined with the tastes of East Africa, brought to life by the freshest ingredients and served by familiar, friendly faces. Now a fully-fledged restaurant, Sakonis effortlessly brings the tastes, sensations and smells of Gujarati cooking to diners in their branches in Wembley, Harrow, and now Hatch End.
Chilli Paneer (vegetarian)
Chinese flavoured cubes of cottage cheese tossed in green chillies, peppers and onions, Chilli Paneer is by far the best-selling dish on the Sakonis menu. It’s so good, they are often complimented for serving the best Chilli Paneer in town!
- 250g paneer pieces
- 1 sliced green capsicum
- 1/2 sliced red capsicum
- Sliced Green chillies to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- Corn flour
- 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
- Handful of chopped spring onions
- Handful of chopped lettuce
- 4 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- Coat the paneer pieces in cornflour
- Fry till golden brown
- Heat oil in a separate wok
- Add crushed garlic & sauté
- Add the capsicums and green chillies & sauté
- Add the fried paneer pieces to the wok
- Add a pinch of salt, pepper, sugar and 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
- Toss the paneer for 2-3 minutes until a lovely dark brown colour
- Serve on a bed of lettuce and garnish with spring onions.